Device You Can Use for Snoring
I’m sure we all know someone in our life that snores loudly in the middle of the night. It’s quite irritating for someone who sleeps beside them. But always keep in mind that they don’t want it either. They don’t intend to be noisy at night. Many people suffer from this condition wherein they unconsciously make a sound when they sleep. This can be normal if it’s just happening occasionally but if it occurs every night, you might want to consult a doctor for advice. A severe snoring is not normal. There is a chance that you have irregularity in the way you breathe.
Snoring is defined as the vibration of the tissue located in the throat that produces a sound because the air can’t pass smoothly through it. There are instances where it sounds soft and low but most of the time, it really sounds disturbing and irritating. Snoring is suspected to be one of the symptoms of sleep apnea. It can also cause sleep deprivation because there are times when the snorer itself can be disturbed by his own sound. Not to mention those people beside them who’ll get up irritated. This disturbance can also cause the snorer to lose its concentration and may experience dosing off to sleep in the daytime.
Possible Causes of Snoring
- Obesity- One of the things that are making the throat narrow is the thick tissue that comes from the fats we eat. So what we need to do is to burn that fat to make the air pass.
- Nasal blockage- since inhaling and exhaling through the nose is the basic way to breathe; it will be hard for the air to pass if there are pieces of stuff that are blocking its way. The only choice we have is to breathe through our mouth.
- Lack of sleep- being unable to have a complete hour of sleep can also be the cause of snoring. That feeling of being tired makes the snorer sleep so deep and the probability of him to snore arises. The body and his throat will relax itself and if the throat is relaxed, it will narrow down and vibrate.
- Lying back position- this position is the most popular cause of snoring. It makes the throat relax and will result in a tough and vibrating breathing.
- Drinks and drugs- there are people who have their daily dose of medicine that they need to take. Other people also have this habit of drinking liquor before going to sleep. Those two may contain chemicals that can relax the throat that may lead to snoring.
Exercises for Snorers
The reason why we produce sounds while asleep is the narrow path of the throat that makes it hard for the air to come in and out. But did you know that there are things you can do to make the snoring stop? Though there weren’t any drugs that directly cure snoring, there are exercises that you can perform to make your breathing smooth. By just doing these exercises, you can have a quiet night without using an apparatus.
- Reciting the vowels over and over again is quite helpful. You just have to spend 3 minutes of your time every day.
- Sliding your tongue from your teeth in the front to the throat is another way to treat snoring. Do it for 180 seconds a day.
- Stretch your lips or smile with your mouth closed and keep it stretch for 30 seconds.
- Part your lips wide and make your jaw move to the right for 30 seconds and do it again to the left.
- Go to the mirror with your mouth wide open and look at your uvula. You can only see it with your throat at the back with your muscle being contracted. Do it for 30 seconds.
- Practice singing. This exercise will give you control to the muscle in your throat and the soft palate. It will lessen the snoring of a person.
Devices and Other Means to Treat Snoring
There is always a solution to make something right. Doctors will always find a way to treat any problem even snoring. They made a device and procedures to completely get rid of the disturbing noise that we produce. Here are some apparatuses that you can use to avoid snoring.
- Mandibular advancement splint- this is an oral appliance that is used to move the lower part of the jaw and hold the muscle to avoid blocking the airway. It is a very efficient device for snoring according to users.
- Orthopedic pillow- this pillow is specifically designed to have a good sleep. It supports the head and the neck of the snorer while sleeping to easily free the air. It is good because even in the lying back position, it can still support the airway. It is said to help different kinds of problem such as insomnia, pain in the neck, acid reflux, blood circulation and many more. There’s not just one type of this pillow. There are different kinds of it for different kinds of condition.
- Continuous positive airway pressure or CPAP machine- it is originally used for people having sleep apnea but can also use for snorers since both are related to each other. To use this, you have to wear a mask connected to a machine that supplies a steamed air passing through a hose. It will keep the airway open.
- Pseudoephedrine- it is usually used for nasal congestion due to cold and other disorder. It may not directly stop you from snoring but it can help.
- Surgery- there is different types of surgery but has only one goal, to widen the passageway of the air to make you breathe normally. But the disadvantage of it is the scar that will be left after the surgery. It is because, through the process, they will remove some tissues to widen the airway.
Do’s and Don’ts Before Going to Bed
A lot of us never thought that there can be a problem even when we are sleeping. Our bed is our comfort zone. We only intend to have a peaceful evening after all that happens in our tiring day. Sleeping is our only way to escape the hardship of reality, but what we don’t know is that our only way of having peace can be affected by the things we did before we go to bed. Here are some things that we must avoid and we must follow to have a really peaceful night.
- Sleep in the right position- you can lie back but make sure that your head is in an elevated position to keep the throat open. But the better position is sideways. Experts suggest if you’re a lie back sleeper, to put a ball inside your clothing in the back to make you go sideways due to discomfort. That technique will be habitual to you if you do it every night and if it happens, you can sleep sideways by yourself without the help of the ball.
- Try to use a device for snoring- there are devices that you can use to make your airway wide open over the night. It was listed above and they are proven effective. The choice is yours.
- Clear your nasal passages- don’t sleep with kinds of stuff in your nose. If you have a cold, clean it or use decongestants and nasal strips for you to breathe smoothly you were asleep.
- Don’t drink alcohol before going to sleep- Alcohol contains something that can relax the muscle in your throat and may result in snoring.
- Don’t take sleeping pills- just like alcohol, pills have a component that can relax the muscle while you were in a deep sleep. It can worsen the snore.
- Light meals- studies discovered that eating too much food before going to bed is not good for snorers.
- Avoid dairy foods- experts said that there are certain foods that can contribute to snoring. They can worsen your snoring condition according to them.
- Don’t smoke- there are studies that show how cigarette affects the membrane inside our nose and throat that makes the airways narrow. And that will lead to snoring.
- Exercise daily- this is really the most effective way to stop snoring. It won’t just make you lose weight but it will also strengthen your muscles including those located in your throat. It can also take away the excess fats in it that causes vibration.
Having a healthy lifestyle consisting of daily exercise and a healthy diet is a great way to avoid you from making noise at night. Keep in mind that if your partner snores every night, he is experiencing a problem that needs to be taken care of. Getting irritated won’t solve the problem. It might just worsen the problem. Having this kind of condition is hard. Who would want to be a disturbance in someone’s sleep? If you think you are suffering from their noise, they’re more than that. Since snoring can disturb the owner itself, the effect will not end there. They are on to a more serious case. Their daily task and activities will get affected too. They might lose their, energy, focus and more.
If you are one of the people who is suffering from this kind of problem, don’t hesitate to go to a doctor. No problem is so small if it can affect you and the people around you. Don’t be embarrassed by your situation, because there are a lot of remedies that you can do to get over it. Take action now before it’s too late.